Saturday, April 19, 2014

Mahabharatham

I have been following Mahabharatham serial in Vijay TV. I am quite impressed with the direction and screenplay. Though the story has been interpreted differently, a fair amount of justice has been made in the presentation. All the characters look ostentatious, the men have maintained their figure, they are well groomed all tending towards the 6 pack look and the ladies look flashing.

I am really fond of this story. My grandma exposed me into the world of mahabharata during the late 80s when they used to telecast it in doordarshan. I could hardly comprehend then. Only thing i remembered then was when Arjuna shot one arrow a zillion arrows flew across to kill the soldiers and in the beginning of the episode a strange sound used to say " Mein Samay Hoon " other than that nothing was vivid. I later read C. Rajagopalachari's Mahabharata. That was a very good interpretation by Rajai.

Mahabharata has some of the most complex twists and turns in its story. I personally liked 2 aspects of it 1.  " Yaksha Prashna" that part when Yaksha questions Yudhistira. The conversation has some of the most philosophical thoughts made simple.

“What is weightier than the earth itself? What is higher than
the heavens?” What is fleeter than the wind? And what is more numerous than
grass?” Yudhishthira's answer, “The mother is weightier than the earth; the father is
higher than the heaven; the mind is fleeter than the wind; and our thoughts are more
numerous than grass." These are just some of the questions.

and 2. Bhagvad Gita . I am not an expert in BG but little bit of what i learnt impressed me profoundly.

Coming back to the serial that is being telecasted ... There are some larger than life portrayal of characters. Technology has been used to a very good extent. I felt the guy who is playing Krishna is doing full justice to his role but director is compromising a lot to fit the story into the screen . That is what happens when you cut short an epic.

I cannot stand suspense. It has been a while since i read the book so i forgot he storyline. Everytime they show what is going to happen in the next episode i quickly take the book and read what would come next . I need to get rid of this but can't help it.

This epic has been interpreted in different forms by different people. I quiet like Mani Ratnam's take in Thalapathi. Boy what a contemporary interpretation.  With the advent of Social Media there are lot more mashable interpretations. I want to bring in some concepts of probability and interpret it differently ...
for example Shakuni and Stochastic Process ..... may be sometime later ...  after all it is just a myth ...

No comments: